This is a rare opportunity for a Full or Part time Fire Engineer or Fire Designer to join a small but growing Fire Team, at a highly regarded, multi-disciplinary Engineering Consultancy based on Auckland North Shore.
Established in the mid-1980s, this respected company provides multi-disciplinary expertise that allows clients to use just one engineering company for their entire project. This consultancy has strong existing partnerships with a wide range of clients, providing services for architects, developers, planners, surveyors and building owners. The consultancy is resourced in structural, civil, geotechnical, environmental and fire engineering service, and has offices in Auckland, Christchurch, and Whakatane.
Because the engineering teams integrate with each other across projects in a supportive team working environment, this is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to develop their career and become a well-rounded building industry professional.
- Undertake Fire Safety Design, architectural drawing reviews, Fire Safety report writing and marking up drawings for Building Code compliance.
- Coordinate with architects and design construction details for fire separations.
- Close collaboration with the Structural Engineering Team and exposure to Civil, Environmental, and Geotechnical Engineering Teams on projects.
- Training will be provided to manage projects from start to finish, including developing client relationships, undertaking briefings and fee proposals, writing Fire Design Reports (incl. marking up drawings), providing construction detailing advice and undertaking construction monitoring.
- Review the work of other members of the team (as experience allows).
- Provide input on the future direction of the Fire Team.
The Fire Team work:
- Applying Acceptable Solutions to uncommon and complex situations, using ANARP judgements and an understanding of Fire Engineering principles to provide tailored and robust advice.
- Assisting clients and builders to achieve the Fire Safety requirements by providing construction detailing advice.
- Working on a wide variety of new and existing buildings in public, private, commercial, and residential sectors.
- At least three years’ experience as a fire designer/fire engineer. This position is open to a range of experience levels from Intermediate to Senior. Remuneration will depend on experience.
- A formal fire engineering qualification is not necessary if the candidate has sufficient experience, though a tertiary engineering qualification is preferred.
- The role is available on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Although envisaged to be in Auckland, if necessary, a suitable candidate could work from our Christchurch or Bay of Plenty offices.
Experience advantageous but not essential:
- Job Management: Experience with writing fee proposals, variations, achieving deadlines, invoicing.
- Passive Fire Experience: Installing or designing passive fire protection.
- Good understanding of C/AS2, underlying principles, related building regulations and processes, and ability to apply these to specific building designs in the form of a Fire Design Report with annotated drawings.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Intuition for fire behaviour.
- Ability to visualise 3D, spatial conceptual thinking.
- Ability to manage timeframes to ensure client deadlines are met, while delivering within financial targets.
- The ability to interpret legislation.
- Good working knowledge of computers and relevant technical software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
This role offers a rare chance to move into working within a collaborative, medium sized, engineering consultancy that places a high value on the work-life balance of its employees.
With just under fifty employees, the consultancy prides itself on its small business ethos and on maintaining a supportive and friendly work-place culture.
- Competitive remuneration package depending on the right candidate’s relevant experience.
- Additional benefits may include, but are not limited to:
- Career progression opportunities.
- Company laptop, mobile phone, and number.
- Annual bonus (discretionary).
Please contact Mike Davidson on email@example.com for further information and a confidential discussion about this role.